Thursday, February 8, 2018

New art enterprise unfolding slowly

What with one ailment and another, today was a day of low energy. Meaning that by the time I'd set up two small paintings, I had to go rest.  I plan on a series of watercolor/marker paintings in a golden rectangle format.  In this case 5 x 8. Fibonacci rules!  Not promising myself how many, at least until I get a bit more energy going.


You may notice that this is the size of a big index card, very handy.  Because it's a shape that's friendly to art in terms of composition, it's a great size to work in if you want a series of small works, which I currently do.  And here's the fairly informal set of tools I'll be using.


Foreground are the two little palettes, aka lids from other containers, with the remnants of earlier painting sessions. They'll revive nicely with water. Nothing wasted in watercolor.  As you see, I don't mix on the palette, would rather let the colors mix on the paper.  Two brushes, one big flat, one big round.

None of these paintings will take more than a few minutes, since it's not about spending endless time fiddling and niggling at it. It's about a swift execution of the idea.  At least that's the plan.

So tomorrow, with luck, I'll attend to at least one of these. Once you've laid down the masking tape, you have to work soon, or it will wreck the paper surface when you remove it.  But the lovely clean edge of the painted area when you remove the tape is just great to see.  And this way there will already be a mat area in place. Easy for framing.

The reason I had to mark and tape and cut this paper is that typically art paper doesn't come in the right proportions.  Likewise frames.  They're designed to fit the machinery that's producing them, not to accommodate the needs of the art. So we work around that.

Do you fancy painting along a bit?  just a small painting here and there, gets your eye in and your skills working.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful to see your set up! And I am always learning something from you :).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.